Efficiency of solar panels can be increased by the basic techniques. Increase in solar panel efficiency matters the most.
If someone buys a new solar panel, and that could not meet their needs; it will definitely a waste of money.
Solar panels are one of the major renewable sources of electrical production.
It collects solar energy in the form of radiations directly from the sun and produces electrical energy through the cells called photovoltaic cells.
There are other things which can be done to increase the solar panel efficiency;
• Place it where solar radiation strikes directly.
• Avoid shading
• Consider the different solar angels.
• Wash/ clean the solar panel regularly.
Even if your solar panel is capturing the maximum radiation, it would not enough.
Only the capturing of maximum radiation does not increase the output power, reduction of losses has also a major effect on a high electrical yield of solar panels.
The two major losses that affect the Efficiency of the solar panel are optimal losses and thermal losses which are caused due to change in reflection and temperature.
There are different techniques to increase the efficiency of the solar panels by overcoming these major losses.
1. Using tea light candle as a phase changing material filled in the gaps between aluminum tubes.
2. Active cooling techniques for cooling that increase the efficiency of the photovoltaic cells by 12% to 14%.
For continues cooling it requires pumps that may increase the initial cost.
3. Fin is another technique used for reducing temperature.
it gives an increase in efficiency of 1.34% in the cooling module as compared to the uncooled module.
4. Water cooling is an effective method that increases the output yield by decreasing the temperature of the photovoltaic panels.
It reduces the temperature of 4⁰C and increases the electrical yield efficiency by 12%.
5. Photovoltaic/Thermal Hybrid system gives highly efficient results in thermal losses reduction 35.33% thermal efficiency and 12.77% electrical efficiency is obtained from it.
6. Al2O3/Water of 2 wt% is also used for analyzing, it is a nanofluid used as a circulating liquid.
The results show an increase in electric yield 13% and thermal efficiency increased by 45%.
7. Antireflective coating technique is considered an effective technique to reduce the reflection.
In this method, antireflective agents are coated on photovoltaic modules which reduce the reflective capacity of the solar cells which causes an increase in output power of the panels.
Ta2O5, Al2O3, ZnS, TiO2, ZnO are the best antireflective agents that have high dielectric strength, good heat conductivity, good optical properties, passive surface, highly transparent respectively.
Ta2O5 is coated on panel glass due to its dielectric strength, temperature stability, and good insulating properties.
It shows stability up to 1360⁰C. Coating of solar cells with the Al2O3 as top layers and Ta2O5 as a middle layer (Al2O3 -Ta2O5 -Al2O3) give higher efficiency as compared to bare solar cells.
It increases the output power by increasing the electric yield efficiency of up to 14%.