Increase demand and use solar panels increase a question, “How do solar panels work”.
Majorities of countries in the world are facing energy crises. They find it difficult to get high-cost fuel.
Energy from fuel; petrol, gas, and oil have increased severe environmental problems.
These problems are not only challenging for us but can also be devastating for the upcoming generation.
So regarding these conditions, solar energy could be the savior of us and upcoming generation.
What are solar panels?
Solar panel is a device which converts the light into electricity. The solar panel is basically a module, which composed off many small solar cells.
More light strikes the solar cell, and more electricity it produces. Solar panels are made from silicon atoms.
Solar panels also refer to PV (Photovoltaic) modules. You may see solar panels, directing towards the sun on rooftops and other commercial plants.
These solar panels are different from each by size, average power out, efficiency and cost.
Latest studies have shown that the production of solar panels is increasing 40% by each year.
Components of solar panel:
Solar panel has three components. Solar panels are made up of small cells, which combine to form a module.
These modules are connected in a series or parallel to form a solar panel. Solar panel thus form have some important components as follow:
1. Silicon cell
2. Glass cover
Silicon cell is basically responsible for the light conversion to electricity. Glass cover is used to absorb the maximum light and reduce the loss of light.
It has a special anti-reflecting coating to retain light. Insulation is used to further decrease in light loses from the surface.
These three parts play a vital role in the manufacturing of solar panel. The working principle of solar panel can be explained by knowing the working of the solar cell.
How do solar panel work- step by step guide:
Working principle of every solar panel is based on the photovoltaic effect. Before talking about the PV effect, we should know that the Sun is responsible for heating up our Earth.
Light comes from the sun in the shape of photons. Each photon carries some energy.
Working principle of solar panel and Photovoltaic effect comprises some steps as follow:
1. Production of charge carriers happens in the first step. When light (photons) strike the surface of solar panel, generation of charge carriers in a material happens this forms a junction. Here, light excites the electrons from lower energy level to high energy level.
2. Separation of these photo-generated charge carriers happens in the next step. The production of There will be the shift of charges on two sides of the junction. One side contains more electrons, while others contain the holes.
3. The final step is the collection of these charges at the end of the junction by applying an external circuit. The chemical energy of charge carriers (electron-hole pair) is converted into electrical energy
Use of inverter:
Each solar panel is pair up with invertor also. Solar panel produces electricity as a direct current.
The purpose of the inverter is to convert DC power to AC. This AC power is then used for different purposes.
How does complete solar system work?
- Solar panels absorb light from sun.
- This light converts into electricity due to photovoltaic effect.
- DC power produces in above steps convert into AC output by invertor.
- Users use it for different purposes.